Book, Jacket, and Journal Show Committee
Julia Kushnirsky, Columbia, Chair (jk3151 AT columbia DOT edu)
Kaelin Broaddus, Georgia
Pete Halverson, Mississippi
Lisa Hamm, Columbia
Marianne Jankowski, Northwestern
Scott Levine, Cornell
Ali Parington, Princeton
Julie Thomson, Duke
John Donatich, Yale
Central Office Liaisons
General Objective: Coordinate 2016–17 Book, Jacket, and Journal Show.
- Select judges for each segment of the show (specifically to include representation from the scholarly books and book interiors segments) by October 2016.
- Solicit donations of paper, composition, and printing for: (a) call for entries; (b) show catalogue; and, (c) award certificates.
- Design and produce: (a) call for entries by November 2016; show catalog by May 2017; and, (c) award certificates by July 2017.
- Work to develop an electronic catalogue; explore other opportunities to digitize the awards process.
- Continue to implement awards recognizing excellence in digital publishing activities.
- Recommend and establish awards that responsibly diversify the recipient pool; for example, an award targeting first-time entrants, awards that encourage entries from small presses, and/or, awards that specifically target under-represented AAUP constituencies (e.g., an award for two-color cover design, an award for case-bound cover design)
- Coordinate a mid-January judging with the Central Office.
- Coordinate the book, jacket, and journal session at the 2017 Annual Meeting, thinking creatively about new ways in which this session might be structured.
- Publicize the show to the larger design community.
- Make a summary report on Committee activities to the AAUP Board in time for its November, March, and June meetings.
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.
Committee Reports and Projects
View the Selected Entries of past AAUP Book, Jacket, and Journal Shows
Reports to the Board
Previous to the 2010-2011 term, the Book, Jacket, and Journal Show Committee operated under the name "Design and Production Committee." The committee was renamed to refelect their primary role in organizing the annual design show and catalog, and a new Design and Production Committee was formed with a separate charge.
2015-2016 Final Report
2014-2015 Final Report
2013-2014 Final Report
2012-2013 Final Report
2011-2012 Final Report
2010-2011 Final Report
2009-2010 Final Report
2008-2009 Final Report
2007-2008 Final Report
2006-2007 Final Report
2005-2006 Final Report