Admissions & Standards Committee
Melissa Pitts, British Columbia, Chair (pitts AT ubcpress DOT ca)
Patrick Alexander, Penn State
Walter Biggins, Georgia
Brian Halley, Massachusetts
Mark Simpson-Vos, North Carolina
Central Office Liaison
General Objective: Evaluate all applications from presses to become Association members in the various categories and recommend acceptance or rejection to the Board.
- Carry out the duties set forth in the By-laws and in the “Guidelines on Admissions.”
- Review applications and advise candidate organizations promptly, with the goal of making a recommendation within 30 days of receiving material.
- Support the Central Office in its efforts to identify and encourage suitable new membership candidates.
- Assess and develop programs (welcome packets, mentoring, et cetera) to ensure that Introductory Members are progressing toward Regular or Affiliate membership
- As requested, review and provide feedback to the Central Office on the revised Regular membership application and the new Affiliate membership application.
- Investigate any complaints regarding the failure of a member to adhere to the relevant standards of membership, and make appropriate recommendations for further action to the Central Office and the Board.
- Make a summary report on Committee activities to the AAUP Board in time for its November, March, and June meetings.
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.