Acquisitions Editorial Committee
Catherine Cocks, Washington, Chair (cathec4 AT uw DOT edu)
Mary Elizabeth Braun, Oregon State
Alyson Carter, Arizona
Mary Francis, Michigan
Mick Gusinde-Duffy, Georgia
Christie Henry, Chicago
Philip Leventhal, Columbia
Gita Manaktala, MIT
Matt McAdam, Johns Hopkins
Clark Whitehorn, New Mexico
Brian Halley, Massachusetts
Central Office Liaison
General Objective: Develop and manage tools, programs, and resources to assist AAUP members in establishing best practices for acquisitions editors and fostering conversation and collaboration amongst acquisitions editors.
- Coordinating with the Professional Development Committee, use the new virtual mentorship program to pair junior and senior editors across presses.
- Continue to help promote AAUP’s Handbook on Best Practices in Peer Review. Plan for how to respond to (and potentially incorporate into potential future revisions) public comment on the document.
- Identify opportunities for discussion and collaboration amongst editors and foster those interactions; working with the Central Office, launch and sustainably plan for the continuation of a monthly Friday Editorial Hangouts program.
- Work with the Library Relations Committee to assess the feasibility of a mentorship program for emerging library publishers; if deemed feasible, create the structure for such a program for implementation in 2017-18.
- As requested, assist the Annual Program Committee in planning any acquisitions-related sessions for the 2017 Annual Meeting, including new Collaboration Labs.
- Conduct a survey on Editorial Boards as a possible step toward a discussion of best practices in board management.
- Make a summary report on Committee activities to the AAUP Board in time for its November, March, and June meetings.
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.